Hospitalised by a KISS: Parents release shocking photos of their toddler's face ravaged by herpes as warning to others

Kalo Hoy's parents noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm last month. His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors.

A toddler spent four days in hospital after catching herpes from a so-called 'deadly kiss'. 

Kalo Hoy's parents noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm last month.

His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors. 

It wasn't until their third attempt to seek medical advice that their concerns were actually taken seriously, she said.  

Kalo tested positive for the herpes simplex virus - something doctors suggest he caught through kissing an infected adult.

Kalo Hoy, now two, spent four days in hospital last month after his parents, Lorna Hoy, 27, and Andy Briggs, 34, noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm

Kalo Hoy, now two, spent four days in hospital last month after his parents, Lorna Hoy, 27, and Andy Briggs, 34, noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm

Kalo tested positive for the herpes simplex virus - something doctors suggest he caught through kissing an infected adult

The mother-of-four is now sharing her story to raise awareness for the virus, which, if not treated quickly, can be fatal in children.

Kalo has since made a full recovery after his time in hospital. It is unclear who may have passed the virus onto him.

Ms Hoy said: 'Kissing children on their mouths and sharing cutlery is a common way to catch herpes, as it's spread through saliva.'

The full-time mother added: 'I never thought this would happen to our family.

'Kalo had red spots all over this face, chest and arm before he was diagnosed with herpes.

'He had ulcers in his mouth and needed injections in his eyes to ensure the infection hadn't spread to them as this could've blinded him.

His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors (pictured together recently)

His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors (pictured together recently)

Kalo has since made a full recovery after his time in hospital. It is unclear who may have passed the virus onto him (pictured after his ordeal)

Kalo has since made a full recovery after his time in hospital. It is unclear who may have passed the virus onto him (pictured after his ordeal)

Kalo - who was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 - needed an intense course of IV antibiotics in a bid to rid him of the infection (pictured after his ordeal)

Kalo - who was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 - needed an intense course of IV antibiotics in a bid to rid him of the infection (pictured after his ordeal)

Andy Griggs, 34, a bus driver, added: 'Kalo had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis which was a real worry for us as parents' (the pair are pictured together in hospital)

Andy Griggs, 34, a bus driver, added: 'Kalo had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis which was a real worry for us as parents' (the pair are pictured together in hospital)

Herpes can be very serious in newborns due to their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the infection (pictured with his father, Mr Briggs)

Herpes can be very serious in newborns due to their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the infection (pictured with his father, Mr Briggs)

The couple who have three other children, Jayden, eight, Kaci, six and Jenson, four, are now sharing Kalo's shocking hospital photos, which show how quickly the herpes virus spread across his face, in a bid to raise awareness

The couple who have three other children, Jayden, eight, Kaci, six and Jenson, four, are now sharing Kalo's shocking hospital photos, which show how quickly the herpes virus spread across his face, in a bid to raise awareness

Ms Hoy said: 'As a family never thought this would happen to us but we're so lucky that Kalo pulled through after his treatment'

Ms Hoy said: 'As a family never thought this would happen to us but we're so lucky that Kalo pulled through after his treatment'

Tags:
Mint chip or paintstachio? Unlucky grandfather, 90, accidentally eats a quart of PAINT after mistaking it for yogurt but has 'no regrets' as he claims poison control told him he'll be fine

Mint chip or paintstachio? Unlucky grandfather, 90, accidentally eats a quart of PAINT after mistaking it for yogurt but has 'no regrets' as he claims poison control told him he'll be fine

Alex Stein shared the photo of her grandfather, 90-year-old Bobby, with mint green lips. She also included a photo of the paint, showing that some of its contents were no more.

Tin cùng chuyên mục
Tin mới nhất